Plumbing Permit

A residential Plumbing Permit is required for all new construction involving plumbing. Renovations that involve new plumbing also require a permit. An example is the addition of a second bathroom in your home. This would require a plumbing permit even if that bathroom will occupy existing space.

Moving existing plumbing or replacing existing pipe (example: changing form galvanized to plastic), does not require a permit.

If you are in doubt as to whether your plumbing change requires a permit, please call the city Building and Zoning Office at 419-468-2642.


Inspections needed:
  • Rough-In (before pipes are covered by insulation or drywall)
  • Final (upon completion, but before use or occupancy)
Please note: It is your responsibility to call the city Building and Zoning Office at 419-468-2642 at least 48 hours before rough-in inspection is needed, and at least 7 days before final inspection is needed.

Commercial plumbing work requires a permit issued by the State of Ohio. This can be obtained from:
The Department of Commerce
Division of Construction Compliance
6606 Tussing Road
Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068

Ph: 614-752-1383

If this project involves food service, you will also need to contact the Galion Health Department, 113 Harding Way East, 419-468-1075, along with 1 set of plans.

Required for Permit

Other Permits You May Need