Starting a Business
Thank you for choosing to start your business in Galion, Ohio.
What to do first
Call the Building Department at 419-468-2642 and provide the address of the proposed business. We will then:
- Check the zoning in the district. (View the zoning map.)
- Set up a convenient time for the utility transfer inspection.
- Issue or deny a zoning permit within 10 business days after the application is received.
- Provide you with information on obtaining a State Commercial Building Permit if remodeling must be done at your location.
- Give you information on the Design Review Application for signage and exterior work (if the business is located in the Design Review District).
- Provide you with any other information as needed.
If you have questions, you may schedule an appointment with the building inspector by calling 419-468-2642. The Building Department is located at 115 Harding Way East (in the Utility Office). Please note: Commercial projects are inspected by the Richland County Building Department. They can be contacted at 419-774-5517.
For any commercial change of use, change of occupancy, new construction or alterations project, a Galion Zoning Permit is required. Applications may be obtained at the Building Department, 115 Harding Way East. If everything is approved you will receive your permit within 10 business days.
Business ResourcesThe State of Ohio may require additional licensing or registration, depending upon the type of business. Click here to read the business registration guide.
Galion-Crestline Area Chamber of Commerce
The Crawford County Partnership for Education and Economic Development
Ohio Development Services
Small Business Development
Small Business Administration