The Ohio Heartland Community Action Commission has announced the 2016-2017 Winter Crisis Program will begin Nov. 1. The Winter Crisis Program (HEAP) is a heating assistance program that may provide a one-time payment toward a utility and/or bulk fuel service for those meeting the program eligibility requirements.
Appointments can be made by calling the automated appointment line at 1-866-861-6421. Applicants may begin calling on Oct. 25.
OHCAC also has a morning walk-in policy. The policy is as follows: (1) electric or gas customers must be in a shut off situation, or (2) bulk fuel, wood, coal or heating oil customers must have less than 25 percent of the fuel source on hand. Walk-In customers will be served daily on a limited first come first serve basis. Please be prepared to wait for assistance.
The PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS are as follows. The applicant must have:
- A Utility service that is currently off or in disconnection status for the gas and/or electric service.
- A utility service that needs started.
- 25 percent or less supply of bulk fuel (propane, fuel oil, wood, coal).
Eligible applicant’s total household income must be AT or below 175 percent of the 2016 Federal Poverty Guidelines (click on Additional Info to see the guidelines).
All applicants MUST provide the following documentation:
- Proof of citizenship
- Proof of income
- Both primary and secondary electric heating bills
- Proof of disability (if applicable)
- Social Security Numbers for all household members
- Copy of lease agreement or rent receipts
- Photo ID of primary applicant
The Winter Crisis Program runs through March 31, 2017.